Please also visit my Miami blog, ¿Qué Pasa, Miami?. Gracias.

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Beulogy*

When I purchased you at the airport moments before embarking on my first trip to Paris, I could not have guessed the immeasurable impact you would have on my life, nay, the world! The following year, you traveled with me to the City of Lights once more (in the form of your fourth installment, hardcover). Now I venture to France yet again, but this time I travel alone. I must come to terms with the daunting reality. It is over, all secrets revealed, the candle extinguished. What have I left to live for? Sure, I have family and friends and Cuban food. But what does it all mean without Harry Potter? I knew this moment would come, knew with the turn of each page that I was one page closer. But, like a blinded Hippogriff in mid-flight, I sped on with reckless abandon. And now it is done. Goodbye Harry Potter Book Series. I am off to France, and, as you rest in the graveyard of my bookshelf, I will try to soldier on … and read some Proust.

* book eulogy © 2007

4 comments:

kpausch said...

"But, like a blinded Hippogriff in mid-flight, I sped on with reckless abandon."

Yes! That is precisely the spirit us assistants need to have :) Where is your poste, exactly? Glad to see a fellow francophile/ HP fan around.

kpausch said...

Whoops, saw your post below about being in Segre. Are you planning on living in Angers?

Me-Ami said...

Yes, I hope to live in Angers. I've heard so many great things about it.

Where are you posted? I suppose we'll be watching the 6th HP movie in France, although ideally not in French.

Anonymous said...

Great post, I share your sentiments exactly, I finished it a few days ago. There will always be a time and place to re-read them though. And I guess we do have the two film installments to look forward to, although Christophe flatly refuses to see them with me! I just hope I can find a V.O in Metz...